Cricket is a sport that is loved by millions of fans around the world, and one of the most exciting formats of the game is the Indian Premier League (IPL). In 2013, the IPL witnessed an incredible performance by Chris Gayle, the explosive batsman from Jamaica, who broke multiple records during his breathtaking innings of 175 off 66 balls at M. Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bangalore.
Gayle’s phenomenal display of power hitting not only entertained the fans but also set new standards in the history of IPL. Let’s take a look at some of the cricket statistics and records that he broke during that match:
- Fastest century in T20 cricket: Gayle reached his century in just 30 balls, breaking the previous record held by Andrew Symonds and Louis van der Westhuizen, who took 34 balls each.
- Highest individual score in T20 cricket: Gayle’s unbeaten 175 off 66 balls is the highest individual score in T20 cricket, surpassing the previous record of 158* by Brendon McCullum.
- Most sixes in an innings: Gayle smashed 17 sixes in his innings, breaking the previous record of 16 sixes by Graham Napier.
- Most runs in an innings: Gayle scored 175* off 66 balls, which is the highest score by any batsman in T20 cricket.
- Fastest team total in T20 cricket: Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) scored 263/5 in their 20 overs, which is the fastest team total in T20 cricket, breaking the previous record of 260/6 by Sri Lanka against Kenya.
- Highest partnership in T20 cricket: Gayle and Kohli put together a partnership of 204 runs for the second wicket, which is the highest partnership in T20 cricket, surpassing the previous record of 170 runs by Brad Hodge and Cameron White.
Gayle’s incredible innings not only earned him the Player of the Match award but also etched his name in the record books of T20 cricket. It was an unforgettable performance that showcased the power and excitement of T20 cricket, and it remains one of the greatest innings in the history of the IPL.
Gayle has also been a consistent performer in the IPL, having scored over 4,000 runs at an impressive strike rate of over 150. He has played for several teams in the tournament, including Kolkata Knight Riders, Royal Challengers Bangalore, and Kings XI Punjab.
Apart from his exploits in T20 cricket, Gayle has also been a prolific performer in international cricket. He has scored over 10,000 runs in ODI cricket and over 7,000 runs in Test cricket, and is one of the few players to have scored a triple century in Test cricket.
In conclusion, Chris Gayle is a cricketing icon who has entertained fans with his explosive batting and unforgettable performances. His innings of 175 off 66 balls in IPL 2013 is one of the greatest T20 innings of all time, and it will be remembered for years to come. Gayle’s legacy in cricket is secure, and he will always be remembered as one of the greatest players of the modern era.